The United Kingdom (UK) Ship Register is one of the world’s most popular choices for the registration of yachts.
Oceanskies is a Channel Island based yacht documentation agency that is responsible for a significant percentage of yacht registrations in the UK each year and the purpose of this guide to to highlight the many advantages of the register and to introduce the Jersey yacht registration services that we provide.
The UK is one of the world’s leading maritime nations. London is the world’s foremost centre for maritime business services. The unparalleled tradition of excellence in legal, arbitration, insurance, P&I, shipbroking and finance makes results in the UK being the first choice for the registration of yachts sailing internationally.
The UK Ship Register
The UK Ship Register is a British ‘red ensign’ register administered by the UK Government’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
Before 1786, there were no central government records of ship registration, although ships began to be registered around the middle of the 17th century when foreign built ships were required to register with customs in order to obtain the same trading privileges as British built ships.
Towards the end of the 17th century British-built ships were required to register before trading to or from the British colonies and later this requirement was extended to ships importing wool from Ireland.
The Merchant Shipping Act of 1786 required all British ships of more than 15 tons to register with Customs in their home port. A copy, known as a transcript of each entry was sent to the Custom House in London or Edinburgh becoming the first national register of ships.
Today the UK Ship Register is governed by the Merchant Shipping Act of 1995 that can trace its origins back to the original 1786 act.
UK Ports of Registry
The UK register is administered by a central Registry of Shipping and Seamen located in Cardiff, Wales.
The registry oversees registration of vessels at all 116 mainland UK ports of registry.
London is the most popular UK port of registry but an owner of a yacht intending to register with the UK Ship Register can choose any one of the 116 UK ports of registry listed in the following table:
|Berwick on Tweed||Fowey||Maldon||South Shields|
|Campbelltown||Hartlepool West||North Shields||Weymouth|
The Flag (‘Ensign’)
Owners of UK registered yachts are able to fly the prestigious red ensign that is recognised and held in high regard throughout the world.
The Certificate of British Registry
Upon completion of registration formalities a UK registered yacht is issued with a Certificate of British Registry. The Certificate of British Registry is valid for five years from the date of issue.
Eligibility – Yachts
The UK Ship Register will accept private pleasure yachts and commercial yachts of any size that are based and operated anywhere in the world.
Eligibility – Owners
The UK Ship Register is an international register meaning that the register is not just restricted to UK companies or UK citizens
The following are qualified to be the owners of yachts to be registered on Part I of the UK Ship Register:
(a) British citizens or persons who are nationals of a member State other than the United Kingdom and are established (within the meaning of Article 52 of the EEC Treaty) in the United Kingdom;
(b) British Dependent Territories citizens;
(c) British Overseas citizens;
(d) persons who under the British Nationality Act 1981(1) are British subjects:
(e) persons who under the Hong kong (British Nationality) Order 1986(2) are British Nationals (Overseas);
(ea) Commonwealth citizens;(eb)citizens of a country listed in Schedule 6;
(ec) non-United Kingdom nationals who are settled in the United Kingdom;
(ed) bodies corporate incorporated in a Commonwealth state;
(ee) bodies corporate incorporated in a country listed in Schedule 6
(f) bodies corporate incorporated in a member State;
(g) bodies corporate incorporated in any relevant British possession; and
(h) European Economic Interest Groupings being groupings formed in pursuance of Article 1 of Council Regulation (EEC) No.2137/85(3) and registered in the United Kingdom.
A person who is not qualified under paragraph (1) to be the owner of a British ship may nevertheless be one of the owners of such a ship if:
(a) a majority interest in the ship (within the meaning of regulation 8) is owned by persons who are qualified to be the owners of British ships, and
(b) the ship is registered on Part I of the Register.
In summary all British citizens and companies may register a yacht in the UK in their own name as well as citizens and companies from countries listed in the following table:
British Overseas Territories
|Austria||Antigua & Barbuda||Anguilla|
|Bulgaria||The Bahamas||British Antarctic Territory|
|Croatia||Bangladesh||British Indian Ocean Territory|
|Cyprus||Barbados||British Virgin Islands|
|Czech Republic||Belize||Cayman Islands|
|Germany||Cyprus||St Helena, Ascension and Tristan Da Cunha|
|Hungary||Eswatini||South Sandwich Islands|
|Ireland||Fiji||Sovereign base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia|
|Italy||The Gambia||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Norway||Papua New Guinea||Panama|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Switzerland|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||United Arab Emirates|
|Samoa||United States of America|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
Summary of Features & Benefits of UK Yacht Registration
- The UK is a neutral, politically stable sovereign state amongst the top performing flags on the Paris MoU and Tokyo MoU ‘White Lists’ for port state control
- Member of the coveted ‘Red Ensign Group’ of British ship registries enabling the prestigious red ensign to be flown
- Government funded, operated, backed and staffed ship registry
- Regulated by the United Kingdom’s Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- Neutral port of registry marked on the vessel holding the reputation of a quality register that is familiar to port and customs authorities around the world
- High service levels driven by a customer first service ethos resulting in quick turnaround of applications
- Wealth of experience with thousands of vessels of all types and sizes current on the register
- Competitive registry fees with no tonnage tax or other annual ship registry fees for yachts
- European time zone
- UK registration is valid internationally and documentation issued in English so widely understood.
- UK registered yachts do not have to ever physically visit UK (unlike other registries, for example Delaware state registration which is only valid for yachts principally used in the State of Delaware)
- Ability to obtain a provisional registration to cover vessel for navigation immediately after purchase
- Part I of the register provides proof of title and enables the owner to register a mortgage on the vessel
- Certificate of British Registry is valid for five years and at the end of the five years the process for renewing the registration for a further five years is very easy
- British Consular services and support are available to UK registered vessels when sailing internationally
- Yachts can be coded and operated as commercial charter yachts on the register
- Entitlement to register includes all EU citizens and companies which can avoid the need for company formation for the majority of potential clients, (other red ensign jurisdictions may not accept EU citizens and companies as being qualified to register in their own name)
- UK has minimal nationality restrictions giving yacht owners flexibility in whom they employ as crew onboard their vessel
- The MCA supports ship owners request for use of armed guards on board UK registered yachts in piracy areas subject to complying with risk assessments and further UK Government guidance
- UK registered yachts are entitled to diplomatic protection, consular assistance and Royal Naval protection (dependent on availability of assets/& nature of the threat)
- The UK holds an international reputation for expert advice and guidance with a proactive leading role at IMO, EU and Quality Shipping Committees
UK Yacht Registration By Oceanskies
Oceanskies is based in the Channel Islands and provides a fixed fee yacht registration service to all yacht owners wishing to take advantage of the benefits of UK registration for their yacht.
The registration service results in Oceanskies taking responsibility for the entire registration process on behalf of the owner.
Our fees include all registry fees and disbursements providing the internationally recognised UK Certificate of British Registry valid for five years and a lifetime radio licence allocating the vessel’s call sign and MMSI number.
Crew Employment & Payroll for UK Registered Yachts
Through Oceanskies Crew Limited we are able to provide crew payroll outsourcing services from the Channel Islands for crew working onboard UK registered vessels.
This service is a very popular ‘bolt on’ service for our clients as it simplifies the employment of the crew of their UK registered yacht.
The yacht owner engages Oceanskies Crew Limited to employ and pay the crew of their vessel through a crew services agreement. As employers, Oceanskies Crew Limited issues the crew with contracts in line with the Marine Labour Convention guidelines, pays them, issues payslips, sea service testimonials etc.
For further information please refer to the crew employment and payroll section of our website at the following link:
Other UK Yacht Registration Services by Oceanskies
Oceanskies are able to provide a range of stand alone fixed fee additional registration services including:
- Obtain provisional UK registration valid for three months;
- Provision of UK Representative Person enabling non UK resident owners access to the register;
- Registration of new owner details in event of vessel transferring to a new owner qualified to maintain the UK registration of the vessel;
- Drafting of sale documents such as a Bill of Sale in the UK format and any supporting documentation required by the Buyer of the vessel;
- Transfers of vessel registration to the UK from other British Registries of Ships, (and vice versa);
- Performance of tonnage surveys and issue of Certificates of Survey for UK registration;
- Effect change of vessel name;
- Make amendments to registered particulars of vessel;
- Renew registrations at end of ten year validity period;
- Manufacture and supply of tonnage plates displaying official number and tonnage for Carving & Marking purposes;
- Registration / discharge of marine mortgages;
- Arrange deletion / cancellation of UK registration to provide a Closed Transcript of Registry (Deletion Certificate); and
- Obtain Current Transcripts of Registry to provide at the time of issue a ‘snapshot’ of the register confirming:
– Vessel dimensions and particulars such as the builder, length, breadth, tonnage, year of build and engine details;
– Details of the current registered owner; and
– Details of any mortgages or encumbrances such as a bank loan registered against the vessel.
Please do not hesitate to contact is for a fixed price quotation for any of these services.