With over 2,000 yachts on its register the British Channel Island of Jersey is one of the most popular ports of registry for yachts in the world.
Oceanskies is a Channel Island based yacht documentation agency that is responsible for a significant percentage of yacht registrations in Jersey and the purpose of this guide to highlight the many advantages of the register and to introduce the Jersey yacht registration services that we provide.
The Island of Jersey is part of the British Isles. Jersey is located in the English Channel in the Bay of St Malo. The Island is an independent jurisdiction and is governed by its own ‘Parliament’, the States of Jersey but is dependent on the British Crown for the administration of foreign affairs and defence. It has become an established international finance centre, with a secure base built on political stability, low taxation and a firmly established fiscal and regulatory environment.
The British Register of Ships in Jersey
The Jersey Register of British Ships is a British ‘red ensign’ register administered by the States of Jersey. The register operates autonomously with regulatory oversight provided by the United Kingdom’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
The Jersey Registry of Ships has been active since 1803 when the 82ft sailing vessel “Nelson” was registered.
Port of Registry
The principal Port of Registry is Jersey. This means that the word JERSEY appears on the stern of all Jersey registered vessels, (not St. Helier, which is the Island’s capital and main harbour).
The Flag (‘Ensign’)
Owners of Jersey registered yachts have the choice of flying a standard undefaced plain red ensign or the Jersey red ensign which is the red ensign defaced with the Jersey Arms.
The Certificate of British Registry
Upon completion of registration formalities a Jersey registered yacht is issued with a traditional A3 sized Certificate of British Registry more commonly described as the vessel’s ‘Blue Book’. The Certificate of British Registry is valid for ten years from the date of issue.
Eligibility – Yachts
Jersey will accept private pleasure yachts and commercial yachts up to 399 GT that are based and operated anywhere in the world.
Eligibility – Owners
Jersey is an international register meaning that the register is not just restricted to Jersey companies or Jersey citizens. Companies and citizens who are part of the Commonwealth, European Union, British Isles, Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territories can qualify for registration, including:
|Bahamas||Denmark||Isle of Man||Mauritius||Slovakia|
|Cayman Islands||Greece||Lithuania||Portugal||United Kingdom|
Summary of Features & Benefits of Yacht Registration in Jersey
- Jersey is a neutral, politically stable and well-regarded jurisdiction that has been white-listed as a transparent and well-regulated offshore finance centre
- Member of the coveted ‘Red Ensign Group’ of British ship registries and Jersey yacht registration enables the prestigious red ensign to be flown
- Government funded, operated, backed and staffed ship registry
- Regulated by the United Kingdom’s Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- Neutral port of registry marked on the vessel, with ‘Jersey’, holding the reputation of a quality register that is familiar to port and customs authorities around the world
- High service levels driven by a customer first service ethos resulting in quick turnaround of applications
- No priority or rush fees – all applications are dealt with on a timely basis
- Wealth of experience – over 2,000 yachts current on the register
- Competitive registry fees with no tonnage tax or other annual ship registry fees
- No insurance premium tax (6% in UK)
- European time zone
- Jersey registration is valid internationally and documentation issued in English so widely understood.
- Jersey registered yachts do not have to ever physically visit Jersey (unlike other registries, for example Delaware state registration which is only valid for yachts principally used in the State of Delaware)
- Ability to obtain a provisional registration to cover vessel for navigation immediately after purchase
- The Jersey Register of Ships provides proof of title and enables the owner to register a mortgage on the vessel
- Certificate of British Registry is valid for ten years and at the end of the ten year validity period the process for renewing the registration for a further ten years is very easy<
- Jersey is fiscally located outside the VAT territory of the EU making the register useful for non EU resident owners wanting to operate VAT free in Europe and who are eligible to do so under Temporary Admission (Temporary Importation) relief
- Yachts can be coded and operated as commercial charter yachts on the register
- Entitlement to register includes all EU and Commonwealth citizens which can avoid the need for company formation for the majority of potential clients, (other red ensign jurisdictions may not accept EU or Commonwealth citizens as being qualified to register in their own name)
- Jersey has minimal nationality restrictions giving yacht owners flexibility in whom they employ as crew onboard their vessel
- Jersey registered yachts are entitled to diplomatic protection, British consular assistance and Royal Naval protection (dependent on availability of assets/& nature of the threat)
Jersey Yacht Registration By Oceanskies
Oceanskies is based in the Channel Islands and provides a fixed fee yacht registration service to all yacht owners wishing to take advantage of the benefits of Jersey registration for their yacht.
The registration service results in Oceanskies taking responsibility for the entire registration process on behalf of the owner.
Our fees include all registry fees and disbursements providing the internationally recognised Jersey Certificate of British Registry valid for ten years and a lifetime radio licence allocating the vessel’s call sign and MMSI number.
Crew Employment & Payroll for Jersey Registered Yachts
Through Oceanskies Crew Limited we are able to provide crew payroll outsourcing services from the Channel Islands for crew working onboard Jersey registered vessels.
This service is a very popular ‘bolt on’ service for our clients as it simplifies the employment of the crew of their Jersey registered yacht.
The yacht owner engages Oceanskies Crew Limited to employ and pay the crew of their vessel through a crew services agreement. As employers, Oceanskies Crew Limited issues the crew with contracts in line with the Marine Labour Convention guidelines, pays them, issues payslips, sea service testimonials etc.
For further information please refer to the crew employment and payroll section of our website at the following link:
Other Jersey Yacht Registration Services by Oceanskies
Oceanskies are able to provide a range of stand alone fixed fee additional registration services including:
- Obtain provisional Jersey registration valid for three months;
- Provision of Jersey Representative Person enabling non Jersey resident owners access to the register;
- Registration of new owner details in event of vessel transferring to a new owner qualified to maintain the Jersey registration of the vessel;
- Drafting of sale documents such as a Bill of Sale in the Jersey format and any supporting documentation required by the Buyer of the vessel;
- Transfers of vessel registration to Jersey from other British Registries of Ships, (and vice versa);
- Performance of tonnage surveys and issue of Certificates of Survey for Jersey registration;
- Effect change of vessel name;
- Make amendments to registered particulars of vessel;
- Renew registrations at end of ten year validity period;
- Manufacture and supply of tonnage plates displaying official number and tonnage for Carving & Marking purposes;
- Registration / discharge of marine mortgages;
- Arrange deletion / cancellation of Jersey registration to provide a Closed Transcript of Registry (Deletion Certificate); and
- Obtain Current Transcripts of Registry to provide at the time of issue a ‘snapshot’ of the register confirming:
– Vessel dimensions and particulars such as the builder, length, breadth, tonnage, year of build and engine details;
– Details of the current registered owner; and
– Details of any mortgages or encumbrances such as a bank loan registered against the vessel.
Please do not hesitate to contact for a free no obligation proposal for any of our Jersey yacht registration services or any general yacht registration query that you might have.