Guernsey has today launched its much anticipated aircraft register under the brand name ‘2-REG’. In an event held at Guernsey airport the first aircraft bearing the island’s unique registration mark ‘2-‘ followed by four letters were unveiled including 2-PLAY, a TBM 700, whilst other registrations to be ‘spotted’ include 2-HIGH, 2-KOOL and 2-OFUS.
The register has been established to provide a customer focused service for the registration of high quality aircraft involved in non-commercial flying activity around the world. The safety standards that the register will apply are on a par with the best of the world with the register accepting aircraft based on European (EASA), US (FAA) or Canadian (Transport Canada) certification standards. Crew licensing and approval of maintenance organisations and certifying staff will be performed on a validation basis.
The Registry will principally serve the following customer segments:
- Channel Islands residents owning light aircraft
- Owners of business aircraft, either private or corporate, based anywhere in the world
- Aircraft lessors in possession of aircraft ‘in between leases’
- Owners and lessors of helicopters
1. Aircraft based in the Bailiwicks of Guernsey or Jersey being any aeroplane or helicopter with a Maximum Take-off Mass exceeding 750 kg and not amateur built, ex-military or vintage.
2. Aircraft not based in the Bailiwicks of Guernsey or Jersey being any turbine powered aeroplane with a Maximum Take-off Mass exceeding 2,700 kg or any turbine powered helicopter.
The operation of any Guernsey registered aircraft for commercial use is prohibited.
Who can Register an Aircraft In Guernsey?
The following persons are eligible to register their aircraft in Guernsey:
- The Crown
- Natural persons subject to certain eligibility criteria
- Legal persons (i.e. companies) subject to certain eligibility criteria
The eligibility criteria is designed to encourage international ownership of aircraft.
For example foreign nationals and companies are able to qualify for the registration of their aircraft tin their own name making the register a truly international register.
The Benefits of Guernsey Aircraft Registration
The principal benefits of registering an aircraft in Guernsey are:-
- High regulatory standards
- Flexibility of aircraft airworthiness, operating and licensing system – i.e. US/FAA or EASA/JAA
- High service levels
- Wide international ownership eligibility
- Fractional ownership is permitted subject to certain restrictions
- Neutral Nationality registration prefix ‘2-’
- Registration marks can be recycled on different aircraft
- The 2- followed by a four letter combination allows significant personalization of the registration markings, i.e. 2-PLAY
- Competitive scheme of charges
- No insurance premium tax (6% in UK)
- European time zone
- Guernsey is a well respected financial services centre on the OECD ‘white list’
- Clear and simple taxation regime
- Stable legal and political environment
- Guernsey is outside the EU VAT territory and does not have any kind of Goods or Sales Tax (unlike Jersey)
Oceanskies Guernsey Aircraft Registration Services
Oceanskies is an independent dedicated yacht and aircraft registration consultancy based in Guernsey whose principals have many years experience of registering aircraft in key offshore jurisdictions such as the Isle of Man.
Using its independence and experience of ownership, registration and documentation of private and corporate aircraft and helicopters, worldwide, and specifically the EU, Oceanskies has put together a Guernsey aircraft registration package.
Oceanskies EU Aircraft Importation & VAT Deferment Services
Oceanskies is also able to assist with aircraft importation into the EU and facilitate a zero VAT and duty importation enabling free circulation of the aircraft with Europe.
We encourage owners, their advisers and any intermediary who might be considering options for the registration of their aircraft or reviewing their existing aircraft registration to contact either Duncan Swanson or Tom Becker at Oceanskies to contact us to discuss potential options.