Since its launch in December, 2013 the 2-REG Guernsey aircraft register has become one of the fastest growing aircraft registries in the world with well in excess of one hundred aircraft and helicopters now registered of all types from light aircraft to the Airbus A380 in both private and commercial air transport categories.
As a Guernsey based aircraft registration and documentation consultancy, Oceanskies Aero Limited is well placed to assist owners and operators with the registration of their aircraft on the 2-REG aircraft registry.
Oceanskies Aero Limited became the holder of one of the first Private Operators Certificate (POC) enabling the company to operate complex aircraft on behalf of its clients.
We welcome enquiries from owners and operators of jet and turbine business and corporate aircraft as well as helicopters who may either wish to register their aircraft in Guernsey and operate under our certificate or, with assistance from Oceanskies, establish their own operating certificate.
We have written this guide to highlight why the 2-REG Guernsey aircraft registry has become such a popular choice for aircraft registration.
The Island of Guernsey is part of the British Isles. Guernsey is located in the English Channel in the Bay of St Malo. The Island is an independent jurisdiction and is governed by its own ‘Parliament’, the States of Guernsey but is dependent on the British Crown for the administration of foreign affairs and defence. It has become an established international finance centre, with a secure base built on political stability, low taxation and a firmly established fiscal and regulatory environment.
The 2-REG Guernsey Aircraft Register
The 2-REG Guernsey aircraft registry is a British register administered with regulatory oversight provided by the island’s own Director of Civil Aviation (DCA).
The registration prefix for a Guernsey registered aircraft is the number two followed by a dash and four alphabetical letters enabling aircraft owners to choose personalised markings such as 2-FREE, 2-SWIM and 2-DATE.
Eligibility – Ownership Criteria & Types of Aircraft
An owner from anywhere in the world can in theory register any private or corporate aircraft on the 2-REG Guernsey aircraft registry provided that the Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW) is greater than 2,700KG or greater and is turbine powered, or any turbine powered helicopter and the aeroplane or helicopter is not amateur built, ex-military or vintage.
Summary of Features & Benefits of 2-REG Aircraft Registration in Guernsey
- Guernsey is a neutral, politically stable and well-regarded jurisdiction that has been white-listed as a transparent and well-regulated offshore finance centre
- Regulated by Guernsey’s own office of the Director of Civil Aviation (DCA)
- Accepts regulatory systems from the major aviation jurisdictions (USA, EU, Canada)
- Validation of pilot license based on host licence without further differentiation
- Entitlement to register in terms of who may qualify to register an aircraft in their name as owner or lessee is international and not restricted.
- Neutral aircraft registration marking, holding the reputation of a quality register that is now familiar to aviation and customs authorities around the world
- The 2- marking followed by four alphabetical letters provides the opportunity to request personalised aircraft registrations.
- Registration marks can be recycled on different aircraft
- High service levels driven by a customer first service ethos resulting in quick turnaround of applications
- No priority or rush fees – all applications are dealt with on a timely basis and with 24 hour support when necessary.
- Wealth of experience – over aircraft 100 aircraft now registered from light aircraft to the Airbus A380
- 2-REG Guernsey registered aircraft can be operated for private pleasure use and for aerial work (for complex aircraft subject to the operator being granted a Private Operator’s Certificate (POC) by Guernsey’s DCA.
- 2-REG Guernsey registered aircraft can be operated for hire and reward such as commercial revenue earning passenger carrying scheduled and charter flights (subject to the operator being granted an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) by Guernsey’s DCA.
- Competitive registry and survey fees
- No insurance premium tax in Guernsey
- European time zone
- Global network of experienced safety oversight inspectors and surveyors.
- 2-REG Guernsey registration is valid internationally and documentation issued in English so widely understood.
- 2-REG Guernsey registered aircraft do not have to ever physically visit Guernsey
- Ability to obtain a Permit to Fly for one off flights rather than a full Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA)
- The register provides proof of title and enables the owner to register a mortgage on the aircraft and its engines in Guernsey and on the International Register (IR) in accordance with the Caption Convention.
- Guernsey is fiscally located outside the VAT territory of the EU making the register useful for non EU resident owners wanting to operate VAT free in Europe and who are eligible to do so under Temporary Admission (Temporary Importation) relief
2-REG Guernsey Aircraft Registration by Oceanskies Aero Limited
Oceanskies Aero Limited is based on Guernsey and provides a complete Guernsey aircraft registration service to all aircraft owners and operators wishing to take advantage of the benefits afforded by the 2-REG Guernsey aircraft register.
The registration service results in Oceanskies taking responsibility for the entire registration process on behalf of the owner including:
- Obtaining legal title / proof of ownership or evidence of charter or lease by demise
- Obtaining if applicable Export C of A, (or valid EASA C of A and ARC in lieu)
- Reservation of unique 2- aircraft registration markings
- Application to register aircraft
- Application for Certificate of Airworthiness
- Appointment of nominated airworthiness technical representative
- Application for Flight Crew Licence Validation(s)
- Assistance with Maintenance engineer validation application and approval (if applicable)
- Assistance with Maintenance Programme Declaration
- Application for Designated Airspace Approvals and Declaration of Compliance (if appropriate)
- OFCOM account application and lifetime radio licence application
- ELT registration
- Pilot licence validations
As well as providing aircraft registration services the aircraft can be added to Oceanskies Aero Limited’s own Private Operator Certificate (POC) or we can assist with the set up of a new bespoke certificate on behalf of the owner or operator to include a full set of bespoke manuals. Please click on the following link to learn more about our POC services:
For further information please do not hesitate to contact James Hughes or complete our enquiry form: