Oceanskies provides shore based support for yachts by providing specialist assistance to yacht owners and their crew often working closely with third party yacht managers.
We review, understand and apply applicable laws, rules and regulations to ensure that our client yachts are properly operated and documented and will often provide the link between the owner and the captain or manager of the vessel.
The need for yacht owners and crew to adhere to the laws, rules and regulations that apply to their yachts is important for the following reasons:
- Primarily the health and safety of all onboard
- The proper maintenance and upkeep of the yacht, tenders, machinery in good working order
- Compliance with any insurance warranty that may invalidate the yacht’s insurance if breached
- The avoidance of litigation in the event of an accident or incident involving the yacht and its tenders
- The avoidance of detention by Port State Control in the event of non compliance
The rules and regulations applying to a particular yacht will generally depend on a combination of the following factors:
- Engine size
- Crew complement
- Usage (i.e. private or charter)
- Area of Operation
- Distance operated from a safe haven
The above factors will be considered in respect of adherence to the following rules and regulations:
- Minimum applicable rules for pleasure yachts
- Codes of practice for safety of commercial yachts
- Safe manning regulations
- Crew Agreements & Health & Safety at Work Requirements
- The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL)
- Ship Oil Pollution Emergency Plan (SOPEP)
- International Safety Management Code (ISM)
- International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS)
- Maritime Labour Convention (MLC)
- Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP)
Oceanskies provides an initial consultation resulting in a bespoke report to the owner which clearly sets out and explains the rules and regulations that will apply to their vessel based on its physical characteristics and operational intentions.The report will then set out how the rules and regulations should be implemented and adhered to.
Oceanskies can then provide a full implementation and adherence system in conjunction with the vessel’s crew allocating responsibilities between itself, the crew and where applicable third party specialists such as yacht managers.
The system is centered around our own revolutionary web based application known as Support4yachts.
For further information on Support4yachts please visit our dedicated website by clicking on the following link to open in a new window: