Malta is one of the most popular EU ports of registry for yachts.
Oceanskies (Malta) Limited is a Malta based yacht documentation agency that is responsible for a significant percentage of yacht registrations in Malta and the purpose of this guide to highlight the many advantages of the register and to introduce the Maltese yacht registration services that we provide.
The Republic of Malta is situated in the centre of the Mediterranean, south of Sicily, east of Tunisia and north of Libya.
Malta gained its independence from the United Kingdom in 1964 and became a republic in 1974. In 2004 Malta joined the European Union.
Malta has a centuries old Maritime tradition and is well regarded as a leading international maritime service centre.
History of the Malta Register of Ships
The modern day Malta Register of Ships was established in 1973 as an open international register of shipping.
The regulator of the Malta Flag, the Malta Maritime Authority, was set up In 1991 the Malta Maritime Authority was established as the regulator and administrator of the Malta Register of Ships.
In 2010, the Malta Maritime Authority was incorporated into Transport Malta (TM) which is a governmental body responsible for maritime, land and air transport in Malta.
Port of Registry
The sole port of registry under the Malta flag is Valletta. This means that the word VALLETTA appears on the stern of all Malta registered vessels.
The Flag (‘Ensign’)
The Malta merchant ensign was adopted on the 12th November 1965. The design of the ensign was based on the flag flown by the Knights of the Order of St. John in Malta up to 1798 to which a white border has been added.
The Certificate of Malta Registry
Upon completion of registration formalities a Malta registered yacht is issued with a Certificate of Malta Registry valid for one year from the date of issue.
Eligibility – Yachts
Malta will accept private pleasure yachts of any size and commercial yachts over 15 metres in length that are based and operated anywhere in the world.
Eligibility – Owners
Malta is an international register meaning that the register is not just restricted to Malta registered companies or Maltese citizens; in fact the following citizens and companies may register a yacht in Malta in their own name:
A European citizen or a non-Malta company registering their yacht in Malta is known as an international owner.
An international owner must appoint a local resident agent in Malta to act as a channel of communication between the international owner and the registry in respect of all matters relating to the upkeep of their yacht’s registration and to act as the owner’s judicial representative in Malta.
Oceanskies provides this service on behalf of international yacht owners through Oceanskies (Malta) Limited.
Summary of Features & Benefits of Yacht Registration in Malta
- Malta is a neutral, politically stable and well-regarded jurisdiction
- Government funded, operated, backed and staffed ship registry
- Neutral port of registry marked on the vessel, with ‘Valletta’, holding the reputation of a quality register that is familiar to port and customs authorities around the world
- High service levels driven by a customer first service ethos resulting in quick turnaround of applications
- No priority or rush fees – all applications are dealt with on a timely basis
- Wealth of experience – many yachts current on the register
- European time zone
- Malta registration is valid internationally and documentation issued in English so widely understood.
- Malta registered yachts do not have to ever physically visit Malta
- Ability to obtain a provisional registration to cover vessel for navigation immediately after purchase
- The Malta Register of Ships provides proof of title and enables the owner to register a mortgage on the vessel
- Yachts can be coded and operated as commercial charter yachts on the register
- Entitlement to register includes all EU citizens which can avoid the need for company formation for the majority of potential clients
- Malta has no nationality restrictions for crew giving yacht owners flexibility in whom they employ as crew onboard their vessel
- No minimum manning policy for private yachts
Malta Yacht Registration By Oceanskies
Oceanskies (Malta) Limited provides a fixed fee yacht registration service to all yacht owners wishing to take advantage of the benefits of Malta registration for their yacht.
The registration service results in Oceanskies taking responsibility for the entire registration process on behalf of the owner.
Our fees include all registry fees and disbursements to provide the internationally recognised Certificate of Malta Registry valid for ten years and, if applicable, a radio licence for the vessel.
Crew Employment & Payroll for Malta Registered Yachts
Through Oceanskies Crew Limited we are able to provide crew payroll outsourcing services from for crew working onboard Malta registered vessels.
This service is a very popular ‘bolt on’ service for our clients as it simplifies the employment of the crew of their Malta registered yacht.
The yacht owner engages Oceanskies Crew Limited to employ and pay the crew of their vessel through a crew services agreement. As employers, Oceanskies Crew Limited issues the crew with contracts in line with the Marine Labour Convention guidelines, pays them, issues payslips, sea service testimonials etc.
Oceanskies Crew Limited can also handle Malta social security contributions.
For further information please refer to the crew employment and payroll section of our website at the following link:
Other Malta Yacht Registration Services by Oceanskies
Oceanskies are able to provide a range of stand alone fixed fee additional registration services including:
- Obtain provisional Malta registration valid for six months;
- Provision of Malta resident agent enabling foreign owners access to the register;
- Registration of new owner details in event of vessel transferring to a new owner qualified to maintain the Malta registration of the vessel;
- Drafting of sale documents such as a Bill of Sale in the Malta format and any supporting documentation required by the Buyer of the vessel;
- Transfers of vessel registration to Malta from other registries, (and vice versa);
- Performance of tonnage surveys and issue of Certificates of Survey for Malta registration;
- Effect change of vessel name;
- Make amendments to registered particulars of vessel;
- Manufacture and supply of tonnage plates displaying official number for Carving & Marking purposes;
- Registration / discharge of marine mortgages;
- Arrange deletion / cancellation of Malta registration to provide a Closed Transcript of Registry (Deletion Certificate); and
- Obtain Current Transcripts of Registry to provide at the time of issue a ‘snapshot’ of the register confirming:
– Vessel dimensions and particulars such as the builder, length, breadth, tonnage, year of build and engine details;
– Details of the current registered owner; and
– Details of any mortgages or encumbrances such as a bank loan registered against the vessel.
Please do not hesitate to contact for a free no obligation proposal for any of our Malta yacht registration services or any general yacht registration query that you might have.