It is the purpose of this guide to set out our understanding of the current conditions applicable to the charter of non Spanish registered yachts in Spain.
We understand that the following conditions apply to the charter of non Spanish registered yachts in Spain:
- The yacht owner must fiscally register in Spain and obtain a Spanish VAT / tax identification number
- Spanish VAT is chargeable on all yacht charters starting in Spain at the prevailing standard rate (currently 21%)
- The yacht owner must apply for and hold a matricualcion tax exemption certificate
- The yacht owner must hold a certificate of authorisation issued by the national maritime authority as well as a certificate of authorisation from the appropriate local government in each region where the vessel will charter
- Charter in Spain can be performed by all EU registered commercially certified and registered yachts but the position for non EU registered commercial yachts varies from region to region.
- In certain regions and depending on overall length the vessel may be required to hold a certificate of inspection issued by the Spanish maritime authority in addition to their national flag state commercial certification
- Usage by the beneficial owner or any related party is only permitted under the exemption where the beneficial owner or related party is not resident in Spain.
- Where the yacht is chartered by a beneficial owner or related party it is recommended that they charter the yacht at arm’s length on the same commercial terms as any third-party, (it is suggested that beneficial owner or related party charter should not be excessive in comparison to overall charter activity).
Oceanskies are working closely with a leading firm of fiscal agents in Spain who can handle all necessary fiscal formalities required to comply with the Spanish legislation.
These services can be performed on a stand-alone basis for Spain only or as part of the Oceanskies fiscal registration service providing a one stop shop for the fiscal support of yacht charter activities in all of the principal Mediterranean yacht charter jurisdictions.
Our fiscal agency services can be provided on a stand-alone basis to all yacht owners or in conjunction with one of our turn-key commercial yacht charter ownership and registration packages.
For further information concerning fiscal registration for yacht charter and yacht charter purposes please click on the following link to the relevant section of this website: