With over 2,000 yachts on its register the British Channel Island of Jersey is one of the most popular ports of registry for yachts in the world. Oceanskies is a Channel Island based yacht documentation agency that is responsible for a significant percentage of yacht registrations in Jersey. We have written this guide to highlight why Jersey is such a popular choice for yacht registration.
The Island of Jersey is part of the British Isles. Jersey is located in the English Channel in the Bay of St Malo. The Island is an independent jurisdiction and is governed by its own ‘Parliament’, the States of Jersey but is dependent on the British Crown for the administration of foreign affairs and defence. It has become an established international finance centre, with a secure base built on political stability, low taxation and a firmly established fiscal and regulatory environment.
The British Register of Ships in Jersey
The Jersey Register of British Ships is a British ‘red ensign’ register administered by the States of Jersey. The register operates autonomously with regulatory oversight provided by the United Kingdom’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
Port of Registry
The principal Port of Registry is Jersey. This means that the word JERSEY appears on the stern of all Jersey registered vessels, (not St. Helier, which is the Island’s capital and main harbour).
The Flag (‘Ensign’)
Owners of Jersey registered yachts have the choice of flying a standard undefaced plain red ensign or the Jersey red ensign which is the red ensign defaced with the Jersey Arms.
The Certificate of British Registry
Upon completion of registration formalities a Jersey registered yacht is issued with a traditional A3 sized Certificate of British Registry more commonly described as the vessel’s ‘Blue Book’.
Eligibility – Yachts
Jersey will accept private pleasure yachts and commercial yachts up to 399 GT that are based and operated anywhere in the world.
Eligibility – Owners
Jersey is an international register meaning that the register is not just restricted to Jersey companies or Jersey citizens. Companies and citizens who are part of the Commonwealth, European Union, British Isles, Crown Dependencies or Overseas Territories can qualify for registration, including:
|Bahamas||Denmark||Isle of Man||Mauritius||Slovakia|
|Cayman Islands||Greece||Lithuania||Portugal||United Kingdom|
Summary of Features & Benefits of Yacht Registration in Jersey
- Jersey is a neutral, politically stable and well-regarded jurisdiction that has been white-listed as a transparent and well-regulated offshore finance centre
- Member of the coveted ‘Red Ensign Group’ of British ship registries and Jersey yacht registration enables the prestigious red ensign to be flown
- Government funded, operated, backed and staffed ship registry
- Regulated by the United Kingdom’s Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- Neutral port of registry marked on the vessel, with ‘Jersey’, holding the reputation of a quality register that is familiar to port and customs authorities around the world
- High service levels driven by a customer first service ethos resulting in quick turnaround of applications
- No priority or rush fees – all applications are dealt with on a timely basis
- Wealth of experience – over 2,000 yachts current on the register
- Competitive registry fees with no tonnage tax or other annual ship registry fees
- No insurance premium tax (6% in UK)
- European time zone
- Jersey registration is valid internationally and documentation issued in English so widely understood.
- Jersey registered yachts do not have to ever physically visit Jersey (unlike other registries, for example Delaware state registration which is only valid for yachts principally used in the State of Delaware)
- Ability to obtain a provisional registration to cover vessel for navigation immediately after purchase
- Part I of the register provides proof of title and enables the owner to register a mortgage on the vessel
- Certificate of British Registry is valid for ten years
- Jersey is fiscally located outside the VAT territory of the EU making the register useful for non EU resident owners wanting to operate VAT free in Europe and who are eligible to do so under Temporary Admission (Temporary Importation) relief
- British Consular services and support are available to Jersey registered vessels when sailing internationally
- Yachts can be coded and operated as commercial charter yachts on the register
- Entitlement to register includes all EU and Commonwealth citizens which can avoid the need for company formation for the majority of potential clients, (other red ensign jurisdictions may not accept EU or Commonwealth citizens as being qualified to register in their own name)
Jersey Yacht Registration By Oceanskies
Oceanskies is based in the Channel Islands and provides a Jersey yacht registration service to all yacht owners wishing to take advantage of the Jersey registration for their yacht. We can provide a registration only service to private or company owners who qualify for registration in their own name or we can provide a package combining an offshore yacht owning company in a qualifying jurisdiction to enable access to the register.
The registration service results in Oceanskies taking responsibility for the entire registration process on behalf of the owner including:
- Seeking vessel name approval
- Liaison with builder and/or seller to obtain legal title in the vessel
- Drafting and obtaining necessary documentation from owner
- Arranging and performing the tonnage survey
- Provision of Jersey representative person
- Obtaining provisional registration
- Assistance with Carving & Marking formalities
- Radio licence application & EPIRB registration
- Provision of Certificate of British Registry
- Provision of vessel radio licence allocating call sign and MMSI number
The offshore yacht package combines all of the above services with the provision of an offshore yacht owning company provided by third party licensed corporate services provider. The package is ideal for clients wanting to save time and money. It is particularly attractive for clients who are non-EU residents wanting to visit Europe with their yacht and benefit from VAT free Temporary Admission, (Temporary Importation). This package is also ideal for clients who want to operate outside the EU, for example in the Far East, Caribbean and USA.
We are always happy to prepare bespoke proposals on request.